122 views

As a former employee of ITT Technical Institute (as an enrollment representative and then as a Career Services Specialist), I encourage you to think twice about attending ITT Tech. Please understand that I am not a disgruntled employee. In fact, as an employee they treated me okay. But the bottom line is, my integrity was challenged on a daily basis as I saw students come through who should have never been enrolled in school.

The admission requirements are sub-par to say the least...in essence, anyone can be admitted into most programs. And boy, do students pay. At over $425 per quarter credit hour, ITT is praying on the less fortunate (in many cases) and encouraging them to take loans they will never be able to pay.

From what I witnessed of the education, it is well below average (aside from a few good instructors). I attended and graduated from two state schools (both of which were much less expensive) and received a much higher quality education.

And finally, the most important part that most people do not realize: ITT is a for-profit, proprietary institution (State schools and community colleges are not-for-profit and not publicly traded). It is publicly traded. What this means: Students are paying to keep shareholders happy and to pad the pockets of the executive staff located in Carmel, IN.

When I was an admissions representative, I was reviewed by the number of students I enrolled. It didn't matter whether I thought they could cut it or not, they wanted numbers and that was the bottom line. When I was in career services, I was judged by the numbers of 'placed' students. It didn't matter if they had a felony or no competency-they still had to be placed or I didn't keep a job.

A natural question you may have: Why did you work there for 2.5 years if you had so many issues with the school? if I had it to do over, I wouldn't have. But now I'm going to try to keep some people from making a decision they will regret.

The Bottom Line: Attend a community college or a public, state school. It will save you a great deal of money and the education will be much better.

Sarah, Indianapolis

Product or Service Mentioned: Itt Technical Institute Program.

Location: Chicago, Illinois

Comments

I have never enrolled a student that I did not think could be successful. Maybe you should take a look at how you approached your position. Regardless of the company expectations for enrollment goals, I value my morality above corporate standards. Because I approach my position with this standard, I am one of the top producing recruiters at my campus. You determine your approach to your career and if you lack the strength to stand up for what you believe then you are the only person responsible for the outcome. Unfortunately, there are unsavory individuals who work in recruitment, but they do not last very long. My campus is exceptional in every area of administration and faculty. I believe in what I am doing because I know that I am helping someone change their life. Attitude and truth are the keys to a successful career and I follow those principals daily.

I am sorry that your campus does not possess the high standards that my campus practices. Not all of the locations are going to run in the same ways, but to disuade anyone from reaching their goals is appauling. If each student puts in the work required, they can be a success in their chosen field. We are not employed to do anything FOR the students, but rather guide them toward the tools they need. If they expect people to do everything for them, how will they learn to be self sufficient in their life.

ITT offers students the chance to learn about their chosen field through hard work and guidance. All the staff can do is encourage and guide.

Approach your career with the same convictions you live by and you will know you have done what is right for the people who are asking for your help!

[Complaint comments] Comments [Complaint country] United States [Complaint category] Education

Share with others: Digg it! Del.ici.ous Furl Yahoo My Web

Was the above complaint useful to you?

More ITT Technical Institute complaints

ITT Technical Institute - Avoid!

ITT Technical Institute - Payment

Comments

Sort by: Date | Rating

407 days ago by William [send email] 0 Votes

As an instructor for ITT, I can confirm the money-grabbing and numbers-driven culture . If you don't meet your quota for attendance and grades, it must be your fault. This results in a rating that keeps you from teaching certain classes.

Instructors are reminded and exhorted to call every absent student for every class and remind the budding scholars that they are enrolled in a program. On top of that, we are expected to document every contact in a computer system. We are placed in a position of treating adults like children and nagging them to improve their own lot in life.

Students are mailed reminders that a new term is about to start and that they should plan on attending classes. On top of that, instructors are expected to collect the reminders from students for an ipod raffle! Students that show up literally 3 hours late for class still counts as a valid attendance. Students who sign-in and immediately leave is considered a valid attendance.

Pizza parties for classes that have 100% attendance during a crucial week. Free video games and popcorn in the student lounge. Free donuts and juice to entice students to arrive for finals week.

All this and much more leads to grade inflation and social promotion of students who have neither the ambition nor the smarts to copy the answers from the back of the book to homework problems.

A large portion of the student body are undisciplined, lazy, and unfocused dullards with a huge sense of entitlement. If you are serious about bettering yourself - steer clear of ITT.

389 days ago by Bill Ritenour [send email] 0 Votes

I regretfully admit I am a a graduate of ITT, with a worthless AAS degree in Multimedia. I received a little bit of this and a little bit of that in training in various aspects of multi media, but not enough of any one area to really have a grasp and understanding of the subject. Also, I did not have any portfolio of any substance worthy of showing to prospective employers. Employers usually want five years of work experience plus a Bachelor's degree, and a good portfolio of work. I graduated in 2006, and I am still working in a job that has nothing to do with my so called training. I considered continuing my education to get a Bachelor's degree, but I TT's credits are not transferable anywhere except to another ITT campus. I feel like I have been robbed of my money and time.

384 days ago by Amanda Both [send email] 0 Votes

I also am I graduate of ITT also with the worthless Associates degree in multimedia. I graduated with all the phony honors, though I was actually going to go somewhere with my life. I got a job working as a web design specialist for 2.5 mnths then was laid off. ITT promised me that they would help me get a job for the rest of my life.. huh.. with a very poor education from that school I shouldn't have expected any less then no help at all... Now I can't get a job anywhere in the computer field and I'm working for a self-storage facility. I have stopped making my loan payments because I can't afford it and feel like yes, I have been robbed.

358 days ago by Lil [send email] 0 Votes

I've been interested in furthering my education for some time. I'd always seen the commercials on tv, like a lot of people, for ITT Tech and thought it sounded like a great school. I figured it would be better to get a specialized degree in my area of interest rather than go to a community college, since I thought that a specialized school would be... well, specialized! And they would be better suited to teaching me what I'd need to know.

Just a bit of background about me, I did graduate from high school as an average, rather unexceptional student. Though my parents had promised they would set money aside for me for school, by the time I graduated high school, there just wasn't any money saved for me, so I decided I'd just work instead and if I ever decided to go to school, I could look into it when I felt I was ready.

I sent off for some information and got in touch with a guy named Vince, who was a recruiter for the Seattle ITT Tech and we had a nice chat. I explained that although I would have loved to attend the actual, physical school, I would be unable to as I lived too far away and didn't have access to regular, reliable transportation. So I told him that I would be interested in attending online classes instead. He told me that would be no problem and at the end of our chat, he told me that someone from financial aid would be getting in touch with me the next day. I explained to him that it wasn't the best time and could we do it on Friday, instead, and he said fine - and yet, sure enough, on Thursday, I get a call from someone from financial aid, all eager to fill out my forms!

I was a little miffed by this, but I was done with my work for the day, so I thought I might as well go ahead and get it taken care of, while I had the guy on the phone. He went through a questionnaire with me about my finances and so on and mentioned student loans and when I said that I didn't have any credit and probably wouldn't be able to *GET* a student loan, he said 'oh, don't worry, we can get you one!' and so we continued with the process of filing the FAFSA info and filling out my enrollment form at the site for the September quarter.

We concluded the call and that was about the time I got a sinking feeling. Right around the point where I received a couple of emails from him with attachments that I would need to fill out and send. I did a search and found the postings here and was very dismayed, to say the least. The very next day, I got in contact with Chase loans and had them cancel my student loan application.

Just today, I emailed the financial aid guy:

'I have been doing a great deal of research about ITT since I spoke with you last and I have not been pleased by what I found. In point of fact, I was left feeling very troubled. I have contacted Chase and had them

cancel my application for a student loan and I would like for you to cancel my enrollment for online courses at ITT. I will not be talked into reapplying for the loan, so don't bother calling - you will not be

speaking to me again on the phone. The next email that I expect from you is one notifying me of my enrollment being cancelled.

Agree with you. It is a rip off attending ITT.

They literally promise the world prior signing the contract. Afterward the first quarter, you will notice students very dissatisfied with the classroom environment.

It is true: ITT Technical Institute is NOT regionally accredited. They are undergoing such process.

It takes 3 years to gain regional accreditation.

Yet, they will not disclose this to the students. The students are sucked up to believe that the classes are transferable!

Phebe

An additional note I forgot to mention in my post: Your credits absolutely will not transfer to another school. ITT is nationally rather than regionally accredited as most schools are.

Regionally accredited schools typically will not accept ITT credits.

This was quite a frustration for many students.

ITT Technical Institute Reviews